Advantages of Mediation
Some of the advantages in utilizing the Centre’s mediation services include:
- It is fair and neutral. Parties have an equal say in the process and they decide the settlement terms, not the mediator. There is no determination of right or wrong in the process.
- Saves time and money. Mediation costs less than a lawsuit and avoids the uncertainty of judicial outcome.
- Confidential. Parties can avoid public exposure of sensitive business and financial information.
- Lengthy litigation can be avoided.
- Fosters cooperation and a problem solving approach to conflict.
- Improves communications. Mediation provides a neutral and confidential setting where both parties can openly discuss their views on the underlying issues.
- Design your own solution. A neutral third party assists the parties in reaching a voluntary, mutually beneficial resolution. Mediation can resolve all issues important to the parties, not just the underlying dispute that may have brought the parties to the table in the first instance.
- Everyone wins. Once a settlement has been reached, a mediation memorandum of understanding or agreement is usually drawn up.
- Repairs important business and personal relationships that may have been damaged through lack of communication and unresolved issues.