Scott Marrs has over 20 years of experience in arbitration, litigation and legal counseling in international, energy (oil and gas exploration, production, transportation, storage, power, petrochemical, energy marketing, well service), intellectual property (patent, trademark, copyright, trade secrets and covenant not to compete litigation), commercial, product liability and international matters in state and federal courts, and in national and international arbitrations.
|Dispute Resolution Experience and Training
- Arbitrator in complex commercial contract matter involving engineering, design and project management issues in mining and energy industries.
- Arbitrator in multi-million dollar energy matter regarding commercial contract in natural gas recycling, extraction, green energy business and allegations of contract breach and fraud.
- Arbitrated 9-figure international disputes involving complex contractual and governmental issues regarding acquisition and divestiture of oil and gas interests in South America.
- Arbitrator on energy panel in multi-million dollar action involving contract and financial issues relating to acquisition and divestiture of numerous producing oil and gas properties.
- Arbitrator on commercial panel in breach of commercial contract action with associated fraud counterclaims involving stock and insurance issues.
- Arbitrated claims by independent oil and gas producers in multi-million dollar action involving drilling companies in commercial transaction disputes.
- Represented international oil field services company in disputes involving Middle Eastern contracts.
- Represented natural gas pipeline company regarding $200 million acquisition dispute with energy a company.
- Arbitrated multi-million dollar intellectual property disputes between an international medical device company and an inventor/surgeon.
- Represented investors in disputes with exploration company involving foreign oil and gas fields.
- Arbitrated a major investment matter for an international brokerage house involving alleged losses by a group of high net worth businessmen.
- Represented energy client in disputes involving Russian oil interests.
- Retained as intellectual property expert in a copyright and trademark arbitration involving two competing international chair manufacturers.
- Represented oil and gas company in disputes involving allegedly defective land rigs.
- Represented exploration & production company in various royalty lawsuits.
- Represented French supplier of industrial gases in federal jury trial involving commercial contract disputes.
- Represented a Dutch equipment manufacturer to resolve various international and commercial issues.
- Represented international chemical company in $30 Million commercial contract dispute
|Professional and Other Activities
Arbitrator with: BCICAC, AAA, ICC, CPR, and LCIA
International Institute for Energy Law – Advisory Board
International Association of Defense Counsel – ADR Committee (Co-Chair)
American, Texas and Houston Bar Foundations – Fellow
Speaker: “Harness the Power of Arbitration to Obtain A Successful Award,” 2013 ALM Course, High Stakes Litigation (NYC)
Speaker: “Comparing and Contrasting Major European and American Arbitral Forums,” 2013 IADC Annual Meeting (Hawaii)
Speaker: “Getting Your Mojo Back Regarding Arbitration,” 2012 Trial Network Litigation Mgmt Supercourse (NYC)
Author: AAA, JAMS and CPR Comparison Chart, Practical Law Jrnl (Feb 2014)
Author: “Arbitration Confidentiality,” Texas Bar Journal (Feb. 2014)
Author: “10 Major Arbitration Issues Recently Addressed By Courts,” Dispute Resolution Jrnl (Aug 2009)
2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Alternative Dispute Resolution, American Lawyer Media
Texas’ “Top Rated Lawyer,” Martindale, 2012, 2014
“Texas Super Lawyer,” 2004, 2006-2014
“Houston’s Top Lawyers,” H Texas Magazine, 2007-2012, 2014
“Top 40 Texas Lawyers Under 40,” Texas Lawyer, 2001
Houston Lawyer Award, Outstanding Legal Article of the Year, 1993
Hirsch, Glover, Robinson & Sheiness Award, Excellence in Insurance Law, 1989