Doug Jones is an international infrastructure and dispute resolution lawyer, and a Sydney-based partner in the Australian Law firm of Clayton Utz, where he heads the International Arbitration Group. He is a Chartered Arbitrator and door tenant at Atkin Chambers, London. He is a Professorial Fellow at Melbourne University and an Adjunct Professor at Murdoch University, Australia.
Doug Jones is one of the leading arbitrators in the Asia-Pacific region having experience of both ad hoc and institutional commercial arbitrations under the UNCITRAL, ICC, LCIA, AAA, SIAC, KLRCA, HKIAC, ACICA, DIAC and other International Rules. He sits regularly as Arbitrator in London; in addition to many other jurisdictions, from Singapore to California, Dubai to Kuala Lumpur.
The arbitrations in which he has been involved include Infrastructure, Energy, Commodities, Intellectual Property, Commercial and Joint Venture disputes with sums claimed up to US$1 billion.
|Dispute Resolution Experience and Training
Doug has had over 30 years experience in project work, as Counsel in international and domestic arbitrations and mediations, and as an Arbitrator (sole, party appointed and chair). Recent arbitral appointments include (Please refer to website for complete listing):
|Member 3 person Tribunal
||Construction Supply dispute
|Member 3 Person Court Panel
||LCIA Appeal against arbitrator
|3 Person Tribunal
||Oil and gas dispute
|Member 3 person Tribunal
||Sewerage Plant Construction Dispute
Doug Jones uses a flexible approach as the key to success in ADR procedures.
- Chartered Arbitrator and Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (UK)(2007)
- Graded Arbitrator and Foundation Fellow, Institute of Arbitrators & Mediators Australia (1985)
- Fellow, Arbitrators and Mediators Institute of New Zealand, (AMINZ) (2012)
Certificate of Completion (Dispute Resolution Board Australasia Inc, Lessons Learned Workshop) 2010
|Professional and Other Activities
Doug Jones has published and spoken extensively and holds Professorial appointments at two Australian Universities. Highlights of Mr. Jones’s litigation career include (Please refer to website for complete listing):
- President, Australian Centre of International Commercial Arbitration
- Past President (2011) Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (London)
- Member of the LCIA Court
- President of the Dispute Resolution Board of Australasia Inc.
- Honorary Fellow, American College of Construction Lawyers
- Vice President, Asia Pacific Regional Arbitration Group
- Member, Australian Council of International Project Finance Association
- Honorary Fellow, Canadian College of Construction Lawyers
- Editorial Board Member, Global Arbitration Review
- Member, ICC Australia Arbitration Committee
- Arbitrator member, Society of Construction Arbitrators (London)
- Recognized locally and internationally for dispute resolution and project expertise. Doug sits as an international commercial and investor/state arbitrator. His experience in International Arbitration and Construction has regularly been recognized by his peers.
- Doug Jones has been described as “a phenomenon” and “the statesman of the industry'” by Chambers Asia Pacific (2012). He is recognized as one of the most in demand arbitrators and received a band one ranking in the International Arbitration Category.
- He was also ranked in the Projects category and was ranked band one for dispute resolution (Arbitration) in Australia by Chambers Asia Pacific (2012)
- Doug Jones is named one of only five ‘star individuals’ in Australia, by Chambers Asia Pacific (2011)
B.L., University of Queensland, 1972
B.A., University of Queensland, 1974
M.L., University of Queensland, 1977