Graham Allen, MSc, LLB, JD, LLM., C.Arb
Arbitrator, R.I. (B.C.)
Law office of W. Graham Allen Management Corporation, Vancouver, British Columbia, CA (Canada)
ADR Certified Designation : Chartered Arbitrator (C. Arb)
VanIAC Panel(s) : Domestic Arbitration, Mediation
Practice Areas : Commercial Lease
Graham Allen has enjoyed three separate but intersecting professions. He started his career as a Chartered Valuation Surveyor, then enhanced his appraisal qualifications with a M.Sc. in Urban Land Appraisal. He later became a lawyer, practising from 1979 until his retirement from law in 2013. He holds LL.B., J.D. and LL.M. Degrees. Graham has a long relationship with the Real Estate Institute of British Columbia. He first became a professional member in 1972, and served as President from 1978 to 1982. He was honoured to receive the Institute’s 2017 Award of Excellence for “outstanding leadership and contribution within the real estate industry, the community and the broader society.” His sole practice today is as a Chartered Arbitrator, focusing on land valuation disputes, particularly rent reviews and lease renewals. He has worked as an arbitrator and mediator for over 30 years, being involved with over 160 arbitrations and a dozen mediations.Dispute Resolution Experience and Training
Graham Allen has served in all capacities in arbitration proceedings during the past 30 years, as counsel, sole arbitrator, nominee and Chairman of the panel. During this period, he has been involved in more than 160 arbitrations, 90% of which were concerned with rental or land valuation disputes. He has also been involved in more than a dozen mediations.
Sept. 1973 – Jul. 1978: President, Graham Allen Limited, Land Management Consultants
Jul. 1978 – Jul. 1979: Articled Law Student with Shrum, Liddle & Hebenton
Aug. 1979 – Mar. 1984: Sole practitioner as W. Graham Allen, Barrister and Solicitor
Apr. 1984 – Sept. 1986: Partner in the firm of Gardner, Snarch & Allen
Oct. 1986 – Feb. 2006: Partner in the firm of Snarch and Allen
Mar. 2006 -Dec. 2013: Associate Counsel, Boughton Law Corporation
Jan. 2014 – Current: Retired member of Law Society. Available for mediations and arbitrations.
Graham Allen is available for arbitrations and mediations through W. Graham Allen Management Corporation.Academic Qualifications
- Awarded the Degree of LL.B. (Honours) by the University of London on September 25, 1970.
- Accepted for Membership in the Professional Division of the Real Estate Institute of British Columbia (R.I.(B.C.)) on January 24, 1972.
- Awarded the degree of M.Sc. in Urban Land Appraisal by the University of Reading on December 15, 1973.
- Awarded the Degree of J.D. by the University of British Columbia in May, 1978.
- Elected a Fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (F.R.I.C.S.) on January 22, 1980.
- Accepted for Membership in the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (M.C.I. Arb.) on October 1, 1984.
- Accepted as a Chartered Arbitrator by the Arbitration and Mediation Institute of Canada (C.Arb.) on January 18, 1997.
- Awarded the Degree of LL.M. by the University of British Columbia on May 26, 2011.
- Resigned from the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.