Arthur James Booker
JBCS International Ltd., Vancouver, BC (British Columbia), CA (Canada)
Additional Language(s) : Indonesian
VanIAC Panel(s) : Domestic Arbitration, Emergency Arbitrator, Expedited Procedures Arbitrator, International Arbitration, Mediation, Referee
Practice Areas : Construction, Corporate Commercial, Energy, Transportation
James is the Director of JBCS International Ltd. with its office in Vancouver, Canada, and prior to his return to Vancouver in 2020, he was a resident of Indonesia for 29 years where, for the last 10 years, he was President Director of a boutique advisory firm, PT JBCS Indonesia. He has extensive experience on the development, financing, construction and operation of major projects in the energy, mining and infrastructure sectors in the UK, USA, Peru, Canada, Bolivia, Ecuador, China, Vietnam, the Philippines, Brunei, Indonesia and Bangladesh.
His expertise covers technical, commercial and legal areas, and he is familiar with the FIDIC suite of contracts as well as bespoke construction contracts. He has significant experience in drafting and negotiation of PPAs, EPC contracts, fuel supply contracts, O&M contracts and general commercial and corporate agreements. James also serves as mediator and arbitrator in disputes related to the construction, energy and mining sectors, acts as advisor/counsel to clients in mediation or arbitration proceedings, and also sits on various dispute adjudication boards.
James is a frequent speaker at international conferences on energy, mining, and dispute resolution, and conducts workshops on various topics, including structuring and negotiation of EPC contracts, power purchase agreements, fuel supply contracts and mining contracts.Dispute Resolution Experience and Training
- DiplCArb leading to Fellowship of the CIArb and the SIArb.
- MSc in Const’n Law & Arb’n at King’s College, London.
- Accreditation as mediator by CEDR, London.
- Arbitrator on construction disputes in the power, mining and oil & gas sectors, and on general commercial and corporate disputes.
- Dispute board member for toll road, MRT and port projects.
- Early neutral evaluations on power project disputes.
- Fellow Chartered Institute of Arbitrators;
- Fellow Singapore Institute of Arbitrators;
- Member International Bar Association;
- Member Inter-Pacific Bar Association;
- CEDR Accredited Mediator;
- Member Dispute Resolution Board Foundation;
- Member Society of Construction Law;
- Charted Civil Engineer;
- Registered European Engineer;
- Fellow Institution of Civil Engineers;
- Fellow American Society of Civil Engineers;
- Fellow Australasian Institute of Mining & Metallurgy.
- BSc (Struct. Eng) – London South Bank University
- Diploma in International Commercial Arbitration – Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- MBA (International Business) – National University of Singapore
- MSc (Construction Law & Arbitration) – King’s College, London University
- LLM (International Legal Practice) – University of Law, England
- LLM (International Corporate and Commercial Law) – King’s College, London University