Carsten Jensen, KC, FCIArb
Law Offices of Jensen Shawa Solomon Duguid Hawkes LLP, Calgary, AB (Alberta), CA (Canada)
ADR Certified Designation : FCIArb
VanIAC Panel(s) : Domestic Arbitration, International Arbitration
Practice Areas : Commercial Lease, Construction, Corporate Commercial, Energy, Insurance and Reinsurance, Life Sciences (Biotech, Pharma & Medical Devices), Mergers, Acquisitions, and Joint Ventures, Partnership and Shareholder, Securities, Technology, Transportation
Carsten is a partner at JSS Barristers, a Calgary based dispute resolution boutique law firm. Carsten has specific arbitration experience in matters involving contractual purchase price adjustments, construction, environmental reclamation, insurance coverage, shareholder disputes, corporate disputes, intellectual property and international commercial agreements.
Carsten has served as arbitrator in both ad hoc and administered proceedings, including under the ICC Rules, the ADRIC Rules, the CCDC 40 Rules, and more recently under the VanIAC Domestic Arbitration Rules. Carsten was a Bencher of the Law Society of Alberta from 2006 to 2013 and was President in 2013. Between 1998 and 2000 Carsten was senior legal counsel with the United Nations Compensation Commission in Geneva, tasked with awarding compensation as a result of Iraq’s illegal invasion and occupation of Kuwait.
Carsten is a Fellow of the worldwide London, UK-based Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. Carsten is also a member of the Professional Conduct Committee of the Institute, which is concerned with the regulation and discipline of its members.Dispute Resolution Experience and Training
Achieved Fellow status of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators in 2013.
Completed Law Society of Alberta training for adjudicators (to serve on its roster of adjudicators in disciplinary and other matters), including training on conducting hearings and writing decisions.Professional and Other Activities
- 2019 to present – Federation of Law Societies of Canada – representative of the Law Society of Alberta
- 2021 to present – Chair of the Standing Committee on the Model Code of Conduct, Federation of Law Societies of Canada
- 2020 to present – Member, Western Canada Commercial Arbitration Society
- Achieved full Fellow status in the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb) in 2013
- 2018 to present – member of the Professional Conduct Committee of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators – the PCC receives and reviews complaints of misconduct involving members worldwide
- Appointed King’s Counsel in 2006
- Law Society of Alberta – served as an elected Bencher from 2006 to February of 2014, and President in 2013. In that capacity Carsten promoted various diversity initiatives, including the Justicia Project, which promotes the retention and advancement of women in the practice of law. Continues to serve as a Law Society adjudicator
- Alberta Civil Trial Lawyers Association (past Vice-President – Seminars)
- Canadian and Calgary Bar Associations – member
- Numerous publications, seminars presented and papers, all as per CV
1990 Bachelor of Laws Degree University of Alberta (Dean’s List 1990)
1987 Bachelor of Arts Degree with Honours University of Alberta Political Science Major