Law office of Urbas Arbitral, Montreal, QC (Quebec), CA (Canada)
ADR Certified Designation : FCIArb
Additional Language(s) : English, French
VanIAC Panel(s) : Domestic Arbitration, International Arbitration
Practice Areas : Accounting, Corporate Commercial, Entertainment, Indigenous, Intellectual Property and Licensing, Life Sciences (Biotech, Pharma & Medical Devices), Technology, Transportation
Mr. Urbas has advised and represented clients in commercial arbitration and litigation across a variety of industries and disputes involving intellectual property (patent, trade-mark, copyright), information technologies (ownership, license, service contracts), energy (wind, bio), natural resources (mining, forestry, fishing), aboriginal law (land claim, treaty disputes), telecommunication, broadcasting, product liability and complex contractual disputes.
He has handled trial and appellate advocacy, urgent and extraordinary applications, appearing in the Provincial and Federal courts and the Supreme Court of Canada, as well as before arbitration tribunals and various administrative tribunals.Dispute Resolution Experience and Training
Mr. Urbas sits as an arbitrator, both as a sole arbitrator and as a member of a three-member arbitration tribunal. He is fluently bilingual in English and French.
Up until June 2017, Daniel Urbas served as Regional Leader of the International Trade Litigation and Arbitration group and Regional Leader of the Intellectual Property Litigation group of a national law firm. Formerly, until 2013, Daniel was also that firm’s Regional Leader of the Commercial Litigation group and National Leader of the Intellectual Property Litigation group.Professional and Other Activities
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) based in London, U.K. and formerly elected to the Executive of the CIArb’s North American branch, founding member of Canadian Branch, director and treasurer
- Recognized as “Local Litigation Star- Quebec” in the 2013-2017 editions of Benchmark Litigation Canada
- Recognized in the 2014-2017 editions of The Best Lawyers in Canada® (Corporate and Commercial Litigation)
- Recognized in the 2013-2017 editions of The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Computers IT Law)
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Preeminent™.
- Recognized in the business section of La Presse, North America’s largest circulation French-language daily, for being “at the top of his game”
- BCL/LLB, McGill University. 1991
- BA, University of Western Ontario, 1984
- Barreau du Quebec, 1992
- LSUC Ontario, 1998
- LSBC British Columbia, 2004
- LSNL Newfoundland & Labrador, 2016