Eric Morgan, Q.Arb
Kushneryk Morgan LLP, Toronto, ON (Ontario), CA (Canada)
VanIAC Panel(s) : Appeal Tribunal, Emergency Arbitrator, Expedited Procedures Arbitrator
Practice Areas : Accounting, Construction, Consumer, Corporate Commercial, Mergers, Acquisitions, and Joint Ventures, Partnership and Shareholder
Eric helps businesses resolve their complex legal disputes. He practices corporate commercial litigation and arbitration. He has acted in complex, multi-party disputes involving contractual issues, torts including professional negligence, class actions, corporate governance matters, shareholder disputes, and commercial and investor-state arbitrations.
Eric has appeared as counsel before the Supreme Court of Canada, courts at all levels in Ontario, courts in BC, Alberta and New Brunswick, and in arbitrations and mediations. He has also made submissions to the Ontario Legislature regarding arbitration legislation and advised clients on anti-corruption and risk management matters. Eric is the author of a book on professional negligence, a book chapter on dispute resolution in Canada and numerous articles.
Eric sits on the advisory board of Young Canadian Arbitration Practitioners, where he co-chaired the Policy and Advocacy Committee. He was previously a North American representative for the ICC Young Arbitrators Forum.
Eric previously practiced in the litigation department of Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP and was a partner at a boutique firm in Toronto. Before joining Osler, Eric worked at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP in London, during which time he was seconded to the Bank of England and the litigation and special investigations team of Barclays Bank plc. He also taught criminal law at Oxford University.
Eric also has experience in Directors’ and Officers’ liability, corporate governance, mining, post-retirement benefits, contracts, professional negligence and class actions.Dispute Resolution Experience and Training
Eric is a Qualified Arbitrator and has completed the Toronto Commercial Arbitration Society’s Gold Standard Course in Arbitration, where he has subsequently been a guest lecturer. Eric has appeared as counsel before the Supreme Court of Canada, courts at all levels in Ontario, courts in BC, Alberta and New Brunswick, and in arbitrations (commercial and investment treaty) and mediations. He has also made submissions to the Ontario Legislature regarding arbitration legislation and advised clients on anti-corruption and risk.Professional and Other Activities
- Qualified Arbitrator, ADR Institute of Canada, 2021
- Toronto Commercial Arbitration Society, Gold Standard Course in Arbitration, 2018
- Osgoode Intensive Trial Advocacy Workshop, 2015
- Advocates’ Society, Do A Trial, 2014
- Volunteer, Pro Bono Ontario (2010 to present) -Act as amicus curiae in over 20 motions before the Ontario Court of Appeal with self-represented litigants, and act as pro bono counsel before the Divisional Court.
- Acted for the Canadian Civil Liberties Association in Charter litigation (S. v. Ontario, 2014 ONCA900).
- Co-Chair, Policy and Advocacy Committee, Young Canadian Arbitration Practitioners (YCAP) (2017 to 2021) – Made submissions to the Ontario Legislature regarding arbitration legislation and acted as counsel to YCAP in an arbitration-related appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada (Uber Technologies Inc., et al. v. Heller).
- Director, YCAP (2013 to 2017).
- Regional representative for the International Chamber of Commerce Canada Young Arbitrators Forum, North America Chapter (2017 to 2019).
- Certificate of Qualification, National Committee on Accreditation, Federation of Law Societies of Canada, 2010
- Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice (with distinction), BPP Law School, London, 2008
- BA in Jurisprudence (first class), Oxford University, 2007
- Honours BA in Economics (with high distinction), University of Toronto, 2005