Gary V. McGowan
Law office of McGowan Arbitration and Dispute Resolutions, Huston, TX (Texas), US (United States)
VanIAC Panel(s) : International Arbitration
Practice Areas : Construction, Corporate Commercial, Insurance and Reinsurance, Intellectual Property and Licensing
For 25 years, Gary McGowan has served as an arbitrator and mediator in national and international disputes, often complex, high-stakes matters. He has arbitrated over 145 disputes, serving as chair or solo in 108.
An attorney for 40 years, McGowan litigated business cases for 16 years, most notably as a founding partner of Susman, Godfrey & McGowan, a prominent boutique law firm. As a neutral, he has established a reputation for effectiveness, thorough preparation, and quick discernment.Dispute Resolution Experience and Training
Arbitrated over 145 matters (AAA, CPR, AHLA, and Ad Hoc).
Arbitrated 23 international disputes (ICC, ICDR, UNCITRAL).
Chair of panel or solo arbitrator in 108 matters.
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (London).
- Fellow, College of Commercial Arbitrators.
- American Arbitration Association’s Commercial Panel, Large Case Panel, and Oil & Gas Panel.
- International Panel of Arbitrators, International Centre for Dispute Resolution (New York).
- Energy Arbitrators List, a global panel of energy arbitrators vetted by ICDR.
- Directory of Energy Arbitrators, Institute for Energy Law.
- Panel of Arbitrators, Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre.
- National Panel of Distinguished Neutrals, International Institute For Conflict Prevention and Dispute Resolution (“CPR”).
- CPR’s Energy, Oil and Gas Panel of Distinguished Neutrals.
- Roster of Arbitrators, American Health Lawyers Association.
- Panel of Arbitrators, Vienna International Arbitral Centre.
- Panel of Arbitrators, Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration.
- 2015, 2016, and 2017 editions of The Best Lawyers in America in Arbitration.
- Best Lawyers’ 2017 Arbitration “Lawyer of the Year” in Houston.
- Acquisition International – Best in International Arbitration 2016 – Texas.
- Corp America’s 2016 Legal Elite Award for Best International Disputes Arbitrator – Texas.
- Corporate LiveWire 2016 Global Awards — Arbitration in the Energy Sector.
- Finance Monthly Global’s 2016 Award—Arbitration and Mediation Law Firm of the Year–USA.
- Charter Member and Executive Committee, Texas Chapter, National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals.
- Board of Directors, Section of Alternative Dispute Resolution, State Bar of Texas.
- Texas Super Lawyer (Texas Monthly) for each of last ten years.
- Among the five “Top Notch” neutrals in Texas, Texas Lawyer.
- 20th Edition, The Best Lawyers in America, and 2014 Houston Mediation “Lawyer of the Year”.
- Listed in The International Who’s Who of Commercial Mediation 2013 (WHO’S WHO LEGAL, London).
- Fellow and Board Member, American College of Civil Trial Mediators.
- Lawdragon 500 — among the 500 best judges (public and private) in U.S.
- 1983-1984 Chairman, Antitrust and Trade Regulation Section, State Bar of Texas.
- 1990-present: speaker at CLE programs on arbitration and mediation –over 25 presentations.
- 1978-1989: speaker at CLE programs on business litigation, antitrust law, and lender liability–over 20 presentations.
- Moderated Panel discussion at CIArb Energy Arbitration 2017 Conference in Houston. Topic–Arbitrating the Mega Energy Case.
- Ranked in Chambers USA 2017.
Bachelor of Arts in Economics, University of Texas, Austin (1970)
J.D., University of Texas School of Law (1973)