Julie Hopkins, FCIArb
Western Arbitration Chambers, Calgary, AB (Alberta), CA (Canada)
VanIAC Panel(s) : Appeal Tribunal, Domestic Arbitration, Emergency Arbitrator, Expedited Procedures Arbitrator, International Arbitration, Referee
Practice Areas : Construction, Corporate Commercial, Employment, Energy, Government, Healthcare, Insurance and Reinsurance, Labour, Mergers, Acquisitions, and Joint Ventures, Partnership and Shareholder, Transportation, Wills and Estates
Julie Hopkins is an independent commercial and labour arbitrator based in Calgary, Alberta and a member of Western Arbitration Chambers (formerly Calgary Energy & Commercial Arbitrators).
Until March 2020, Julie was counsel with Borden Ladner Gervais LLP where she practiced commercial litigation, arbitration and administrative law for more than 26 years. She advised and represented clients on complex and technical matters concerning oil and gas, insurance, labour and employment, estates and trusts, corporate, and constitutional law. As a result, she has experience across a variety of industries including electricity generation and transmission, oil and gas (including oilsands, pipelines and LNG), construction, aviation, trucking, real-estate development and healthcare.
As an arbitrator, Julie has decided matters ranging from disputes under asset purchase agreements to appeals of election results under a First Nation’s election code. Julie acts as an unjust dismissal adjudicator under the Canada Labour Code and was a Panel Chair on the Alberta Insurance Councils Appeal Board, where she heard appeals of decisions concerning the licensing and discipline of insurance agents, brokers and adjustors. She has conducted workplace investigations into high profile and sensitive matters and provided advice to decisions makers appointed as part of a grievance process.
Julie is also an instructor and course director for the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Accelerated Route to Fellowship Course, which is aimed at experienced arbitrators and arbitration counsel.Dispute Resolution Experience and Training
- Accelerated Route to Fellowship Course, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, 2014
- Panel Training, ICDR, 2018
- Mediating the Litigated Case, Straus Institute of Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine University, 2021
- Director and Honorary Secretary, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Canada Branch
- Member, Western Canada Commercial Arbitration Society
- Member, Global Panel, CPR’s Panels of Distinguished Neutrals
- Member, Canada Panel, ICDR Canada
- Member, Roster, Sport Dispute Resolution Centre of Canada
- Member, Canadian Roster for Dispute Settlement Panels under Chapter 19 (Trade Remedies) of the North American Free Trade Agreement
- Member, Article 31.22 Advisory Committee on Private Commercial Disputes under Canada-
- United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA)
- Canada Labour Code, Adjudicator and Referee
- Global Arbitration Review Legal Who’s Who, Arbitrator (Canada) 2021
- Refer to HerTM Arbitrators and Mediators List
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, 2014
- Admitted to the Alberta Bar, 1994
- Articled at Howard, Mackie (a predecessor firm to Borden Ladner Gervais LLP) including a three
- month rotation at the Crown Prosecutors’ Office in Calgary, 1993-1994.
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Alberta, 1993
- Bachelor of Arts (with Honours), University of Calgary, 1990