Leslie E. Maerov
Leslie E. Maerov, FCIArb.
Lawyer, Independent Commercial Arbitrator
Law office of Leslie E. Maerov Arbitrations Inc., Vancouver, BC, CA (Canada)
ADR Certified Designation : FCIArb, Q.Arb
VanIAC Panel(s) : Domain Name Disputes, Domestic Arbitration
Practice Areas : Commercial Lease, Construction, Corporate Commercial, Financial Services, Franchise, Hospitality, Intellectual Property and Licensing, Partnership and Shareholder, Real Estate, Sports, Technology, Telecommunications, Wills and Estates
Between 2001 and 2014, Mr. Maerov was Chief Executive Officer and President of a public-listed telecom company. Between 2014-2018 he was Chief Compliance Officer and General Counsel of the company, until the business was sold. As CEO he leveraged his commercial law expertise and business mindset to develop and implement the company’s strategic growth plans, and was responsible for financing the company’s operations, mergers and acquisitions, all contractual negotiations and regulatory compliance. As CFO for several years, he was responsible for all financial reporting and public management and financial analysis. Since July 2018, he has resumed full time practice primarily as an independent commercial arbitrator, and as a commercial solicitor.
In his private practice and as a telecom executive Mr. Maerov has developed broad expertise to deal with any commercial dispute, and has substantial expertise in contract remedies, securities, derivatives, agency, franchising, regulatory and governance issues and in shareholder disputes.
Mr. Maerov understands what businesses want and need and applies that to dispute resolution.Dispute Resolution Experience and Training
Mr. Maerov is a member and panelist for ADRBC, the ICC Canada Arbitration Committee, a panelist for VanIAC, ICDR, FINRA (U.S. Financial Industry Regulation Authority) and NFA (U.S. National Futures Association), and is the immediate past Chair of VanIAC. He has been a presenter at numerous arbitration symposia on topics ranging from institutional rules to arbitration ethics.
Leslie E. Maerov has conducted numerous domestic and international arbitrations as sole arbitrator and as member of three-person panels under VanIAC, ICDR, and FINRA (U.S. Financial Industry Regulatory Authority) Rules and ad hoc rules.
Fellowship training by CIArb. (Chartered Institute of Arbitrators), U.K., robust continuing education program annually on various topics.Professional and Other Activities
- 2012 to 2021 – Director, formerly Governing Director & Chair, VanIAC
- 2004 to Present – Director & Past Chair, Childhood Cancer Family Support Society
- 2004 to Present – Director, Treasurer, Pacific Coast Baseball Umpires Association
- 2018 to Present – Director and Secretary, British Columbia Baseball Umpires Association
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb)
- Panelist, International Centre for Dispute Resolution Canada (ICDR Canada)
- Member, International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) Canada Arbitration Committee
- Member, Alternative Dispute Resolution Institute of BC (ADRBC)
- Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of B.C. (1975)
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales (1991)
- Lecturer, Law Society of British Columbia, Bar Admission Course: Company Law
- Lecturer, UBC Faculty of Commerce, Certified General Accountants program: Commercial Law
- B., Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, Toronto, Ontario
- A., University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb.), U.K. (2011)
- Qualified Arbitrator (Q.Arb.) – ADR Institute of Canada (2019)