Mark Lee Tweedy, C.Med., C.Arb
Law office of Mark Tweedy Mediation + Arbitration Ltd., Vancouver, BC, CA (Canada)
ADR Certified Designation : Chartered Mediator (C. Med)
VanIAC Panel(s) : Domestic Arbitration, Mediation, Underinsured Motorist Protection (UMP)
Practice Areas : Construction, Corporate Commercial, Insurance and Reinsurance, Intellectual Property and Licensing, Mergers, Acquisitions, and Joint Ventures, Personal Injury, Real Estate, Wills and Estates
I was called to the BC Bar in 1982. I practiced civil litigation for over 30 years. I started working as mediator in 2004. I devoted my practice to mediation, arbitration and adjudication in 2014. I received my Chartered Mediator designation in 2017, and my Chartered Arbitrator designation in 2020.
I have mediated well in excess of fifteen hundred civil claims involving family businesses, personal injury, professional liability, construction, aviation, insurance (property, casualty, life and disability), shareholders’ and joint venture partners’ disputes, real estate, employment, and wills and estates. I have particular expertise mediating disputes where there is high emotional content.
My mediation experience ranges from relatively simple two party disputes to complex multi-party litigation. I have provided services to clients in the public and private sectors, including non-profits and community based organisations.
My arbitration experience includes under insured motorist claims, and commercial, construction, and insurance disputes. I also have substantial experience sitting as a court appointed adjudicator in class action matters.
I am a volunteer with, and a board member, and the President of, the BC Lawyers Assistance Program. I have assisted in interventions, acted as counsel to lawyers in discipline, credentials, and practice standards matters before the Law Society of British Columbia, and acted as a peer counsellor to other lawyers.Professional and Other Activities
- Law Society of British Columbia, 1982 to date, currently non-practicing
- Mediate BC, Civil Roster Member, 2004 to date
- Vancouver International Arbitration Centre (VanIAC) , Mediation, Domestic Arbitration, and UMP Panel Member, 2013 to date
- ADRBC, Mediation Panel Member, 2016 to date
- Volunteer, St. James Music Academy, 2017-2018
- Board Member, Lawyers Assistance Program of BC, 2015 to date
- Volunteer, Lawyers Assistance Program of BC, 2004 to date
- Volunteer, First United Church, Hastings and Gore, Vancouver, BC, various dates
- Board Member, Canadian Memorial United Church, Vancouver, BC, 2007 to 2010
- International Academy of Mediators, Distinguished Fellow, 2020 to date
- Canadian Academy of Dispute Neutrals, Arbitration and Mediation Panel Member, 2020 to date
- Volunteer, Lawyers Assistance Program of BC, 2004 to date, and currently a Board member and President