Mark Lee Tweedy, C.Med
Law office of Mark Tweedy, Vancouver, BC, CA (Canada)
ADR Certified Designation : Chartered Mediator (C. Med)
VanIAC Panel(s) : Domestic Arbitration, Mediation, Underinsured Motorist Protection (UMP)
Practice Areas : Construction, Corporate Commercial, Family, Insurance and Reinsurance, Intellectual Property and Licensing, Mergers, Acquisitions, and Joint Ventures, Personal Injury, Real Estate, Wills and Estates
Mark was called to the BC Bar in 1982. He practiced as a trial lawyer for many years. He has worked exclusively as mediator, arbitrator, and adjudicator since 2014.
Mark has mediated hundreds civil claims in a wide variety of subject areas. He has particular expertise in, and enjoys, mediating disputes where there is high emotional content. He received his Chartered Mediator designation in 2017.
Mark’s arbitration experience includes under insured motorist claims, and commercial, and insurance disputes. He also has substantial experience sitting as a court appointed adjudicator in class action matters.
Mark also has also frequently served as a locum, which has more often engaged his skills as a mediator than his skills as counsel. His involvement in this work came about as a result of his volunteer work with the Lawyers Assistance Program, which he commenced in 2002. In that capacity he has also assisted in interventions, acted as counsel to lawyers in discipline, credentials, and practice standards matters before the Law Society of British Columbia, and acted as a peer counselor to other lawyers.
Mark is a frequent lecturer to professional and industry groups on ADR topics, and has co taught CLEBC’s “Fundamentals of Mediation” to lawyers wishing to become mediators.Professional and Other Activities
- Law Society of British Columbia, 1982 to date, currently non-practicing
- Mediate BC, Civil Roster Member, 2004 to date
- Vancouver International Arbitration Centre (VanIAC) , Mediation, Domestic Arbitration, and UMP Panel Member, 2013 to date
- ADRBC, Mediation Panel Member, 2016 to date
- Volunteer, St. James Music Academy, 2017-2018
- Board Member, Lawyers Assistance Program of BC, 2015 to date
- Volunteer, Lawyers Assistance Program of BC, 2004 to date
- Volunteer, First United Church, Hastings and Gore, Vancouver, BC, various dates
- Board Member, Canadian Memorial United Church, Vancouver, BC, 2007 to 2010
- Board Member, the grunt gallery, Vancouver, BC, 2010 to 2012