Mary E. Comeau
Law office of Mary E. Comeau Dispute Resolution, Calgary, AB (Alberta), CA (Canada)
VanIAC Panel(s) : Appeal Tribunal, Domestic Arbitration, International Arbitration
Practice Areas : Construction, Consumer, Corporate Commercial, Energy, Indigenous, Mergers, Acquisitions, and Joint Ventures
Mary is a senior commercial litigator, with over 25 years experience in complex commercial dispute resolution, focusing on oil and gas, electricity and mining matters. A graduate of the University of Calgary Faculty of Law, she started her career at Macleod Dixon, which merged with Norton Rose in 2011, now Norton Rose Fulbright, where she retired as Senior Partner and the Litigation Practice Group Leader December 31, 2017. Since January 2018 she has sat as an independent arbitrator as sole arbitrator and as a Tribunal member, including as Chair. She also provides strategic advice as senior litigation counsel.Dispute Resolution Experience and Training
- Experience Highlights Acted for the federal Crown in the Federal Court of Canada action brought by four Indian Bands claiming damages in excess of $1 billion, leading oil and gas related claims.
- Represented a variety of clients in numerous arbitrations related to the electricity industry since 1991. In the past 15 years has conducted many arbitrations specifically related to power purchase arrangements and related issues.
- Has represented clients in numerous domestic and international arbitrations related to general commercial matters including natural gas price disputes, wind power production and pricing, co-generation production and construction disputes.
- Acted for a major chemical company in a complex commercial dispute related to the operation, production and ownership of a production facility.
- Acted for oil and gas companies in disputes regarding the production of heavy oil, royalty disputes related to both Crown and freehold royalties, well completion, marketing, joint venture, natural gas processing and environmental issues.
- Represented numerous oil and gas companies in matters related to aboriginal consultation and project development.
- Acted for mining companies in disputes related to the staking of claims and land development issues. Represented corporate clients with respect to reorganizations and plans of arrangement pursuant to the Canada and Alberta Business Corporations Acts.
- Acted for a variety of clients in numerous private and court-facilitated mediations related to various commercial matters including construction and royalty disputes.
- ADR Institute of Alberta
- ADR Institute of Canada (Director 2006-2017, President’s Award 2017)
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- ICDR Canada Advisory Committee (Vice-Chair 2015 – present)
- Western Canada Commercial Arbitration Society (Director 2014 – present)
- International Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
- Calgary Bar association
- Theatre Calgary (Director, Secretary 2015-2017)
- Mary’s University (Board of Governors 2014 – present)
- University of Calgary, B.S.W. 1986
- University of Calgary, LL.B 1989 (Gold Medal)
- Admitted to the Alberta Bar 1990