Mary M. MacKinnon
Law office of Guild Yule LLP, Vancouver, BC, CA (Canada)
Additional Language(s) : French
VanIAC Panel(s) : Mediation
Practice Areas : Construction, Corporate Commercial, Employment, Insurance and Reinsurance, Personal Injury, Wills and Estates
Mary Margaret’s practice focuses on the defence of personal injury and sexual abuse claims. She is counsel to a number of national religious institutions, and provides advice on the formation and implementation of policies for responding to allegations of sexual abuse or sexual harassment.
Mary Margaret also acts for schools and school boards – both defending claims and providing workshops and advice on areas of risk management.
Mary Margaret has also been defence counsel for numerous municipalities for over thirty years. She also acts as defence counsel in complex multi-party aviation litigation. She appears regularly as counsel in the British Columbia Supreme Court and British Columbia Court of Appeal.Dispute Resolution Experience and Training
- Mediator in over 50 disputes.
- Mediated personal injury, property damage, insurance and professional negligence complaints.
- Counsel for the Plaintiffs in a complex multi-party lawsuit involving the collapse of a large financial institution.
- Counsel for a number of religious institutions in a large number of sexual abuse claims including extensive experience in residential school claims.
- Counsel for various municipalities in person injury and property damage claims. Defence of a number of aviation insurers in British Columbia involving product liability and personal injury claims.
- Provides advice on employment matters to a number of corporate clients.
- Appears frequently in the Court of Appeal for this firm and on referral from other firms.
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia, Yukon, and also appears in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut
- Member, Canadian Bar Association – Past President, Insurance Law Section Past Executive Committee Vancouver Bar Association
- Advisory Committee to the Judicial Council – B.C. Bar Association Lecturer – CLE, PLTC, Canadian Institute
2019 Harvard University, Advanced Mediation
2017 Northwestern University, Mediation Skills Training
2016 Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine University, Mediating the Litigated Case
1984 — 1985 Gonville & Caius College University of Cambridge, Cambridge, England LL.M.
1981 — 1984 University of Victoria Faculty of Law LL.B.
1980 — 1981 Universite de Perpignan, Perpignan, France Diplome des Etudes Francaises
1978 — 1980 University of British Columbia Faculty of Arts B.A.