Michael C. Pryles, C. Arb., C. Med.
Independent Arbitrator and Mediator, Lawyer admitted in Australia and Singapore
Law office of Michael Charles Pryles, Melbourne, Victoria, AU (Australia)
ADR Certified Designation : C. Arb and C. Med
VanIAC Panel(s) : International Arbitration
Practice Areas : Construction, Corporate Commercial
Michael Pryles is one of the leading arbitrators in the Asia/Pacific Region. A recent survey by Cross-border Quarterly (July-September 2006) ranked him in the top 20 arbitration specialists in the world.
He has sat as an arbitrator in over 200 cases in Asia, Europe, North America and Australia.
Michael has experience of both ad hoc and institutional commercial arbitrations under the UNCITRAL, ICC, LCIA, SIAC, HKIAC, CIETAC, SCC, JCAA, KLRCA and Swiss rules, and investor-state arbitrations under the ICSID rules, the ICSID Additional Facility Rules and the UNCITRAL Rules (BITs, NAFTA and state investor protection laws).
These have involved investment, construction, energy, commercial, technology-transfer and joint venture disputes with sums claimed up to US $5 billion.
Michael has published extensively. Previously he was a partner in a major Australian law firm and before that he held a named chair in Australia’s largest law school. He has also held numerous international appointments.Dispute Resolution Experience and Training
Michael Pryles has extensive experience in International Arbitration. Selected appointments are: Chairman in a dispute between a US corporation and Chinese individual concerning the office supply industry. UNCITRAL Rules. Place of arbitration: Hong Kong. Amount in dispute: US$100 million, Party appointed arbitrator in a dispute between a US corporation and various Indonesian entities concerning the mining industry. SIAC Rules. Place of arbitration: Singapore. Amount in dispute: US$310 million. For full list, please see Michel Pryles web page.
Michael Pryles has gained invaluable skills and knowledge through his domestic arbitration experience as well as mediation experience during his career (please see Michael Pryles web page).Professional and Other Activities
- Who’s Who Legal 2006 considered Michael to be “a level above the rest“.
- The Practical Law Company Yearbook 2006 ranked Michael as one of the leading lawyers in Australia in dispute resolution.
- Cross-Border Quarterly 2006 ranked Michael in the top 20 arbitration specialists in the world.
- Who’s Who Legal 2007 described Michael as “the top dog on international arbitration in Australia” and stated that he is seen as being “head and shoulders above everyone else“.
- Chambers Global 2007 described Michael as “experienced and extremely sound“.
- The Practical Law Company Yearbook 2007 rated Michael as a leading individual in dispute resolution in Australia and described him as a “well-known international corporate arbitrator“.
- Chambers Asia 2008 stated that Michael ‘“works hard, thinks smart and always focuses upon what is important”. He was the founding President of the APRAG, and few have contributed as much to the growth of the regional arbitration community as he has. Commentators champion his “independence, diligence and speed in procedural issues” while also lauding his “swift responsiveness in dealing with parties’ requests. Win or lose Counsel will never leave with any complaints of Pryles”‘.
- Who’s Who Legal 2008 described Michael as having ‘“an international standing and exposure on commercial arbitration” that makes him the most highly-regarded Australian in the book‘.
- Chambers Global 2008 described Michael as a ‘world-renowned arbitrator‘ who is ‘[a] strong contributor to the development of arbitration within the Asia-Pacific region‘ and ‘was the founding president of the Asia Pacific Regional Arbitration Group‘.
- Michael was recognised as one of Australia’s top lawyers, as judged by their peers, Australian Financial Review, 7 March 2008, and 6 March 2009.
- Michael was ranked as one of the 5 leading individuals in dispute resolution in Australia by PLC Which Lawyer? Yearbook 2008 and 2009.
- Chambers Asia 2009 described “Full-time arbitrator Pryles” as “perhaps Australia’s most successful export in this field”.
- Who’s Who Legal, Commercial Arbitration 2010, described Michael Pryles as a “star”.
- Bachelor of Laws
- Master of Laws
- Doctor of the Science of Law
- Doctor of Philosophy
- Doctor of Laws
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (UK)
- Fellow, Institute of Arbitrators and Mediators Australia
- Fellow, Arbitrators and Mediators Institute of New Zealand
- Fellow, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators
- Chartered Arbitrator (UK)
- Grade 1 Arbitrator, Australia