Michael P. Carroll
Michael P. Carroll, KC
Law office of Michael Carroll, KC, Vancouver, BC, Canada, Vancouver, BC, CA (Canada)
Additional Language(s) : French
VanIAC Panel(s) : Domestic Arbitration, International Arbitration, Mediation
Practice Areas : Construction, Corporate Commercial, Indigenous, Insurance and Reinsurance, Real Estate
Throughout his career Michael’s practice has focused on commercial and corporate disputes. He has appeared in cases at all trial and appellate levels including the B.C. Supreme Court and Court of Appeal, Supreme Court of Canada, Federal Court of Canada, Superior Court and Court of Appeal of Québec, Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta and the Supreme Courts of the Northwest Territories and Yukon. He has also appeared before an international panel of arbitrators in Washington, D.C., in a dispute under the North American Free Trade Agreement. Since January 2007, his practice has focused on domestic arbitration and mediation. Originally from Montréal, Michael began practicing in Québec in 1968 where he was a partner in the firm of Martineau Walker until 1980 when he moved to Vancouver. Michael was the managing partner of DLA Piper (Canada) LLP from 1986 through 1989.Dispute Resolution Experience and Training
Michael has acted as Mediator in over 100 disputes in a wide variety of commercial matters including claims involving multiple Plaintiffs and Defendants. Some examples are Real Estate ( REDMA, Strata Property Act claims) construction law, Professional Liability of accountants and lawyers, claims for breach of contract, fiduciary duties, negligent and fraudulent misrepresentation, Forestry Act disputes, and bankruptcy and insolvency priority claims.
Michael has acted as a sole arbitrator and chaired arbitration panels in Alberta and British Columbia in numerous commercial disputes. Examples are claims for breach of contract or fiduciary duties, negligent and fraudulent misrepresentation claims, Professional Partnership disputes, employment law matters, and disputes between doctors and Provincial Health Authorities.
Has attended mediation training sessions conducted by CLE and Dispute Resolution Inc and Arbitration training sessions conducted by the Western Canadian Commercial Arbitration Society.Professional and Other Activities
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel, 1996
- Best Lawyers in Canada (Alternative Dispute Resolution), 2006-2017
- Expert Guides: Guide to the World’s Leading Litigation and Product Liability Lawyers, 2014
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale Hubbell
- President, Golf Canada, 2013
- Chair, Air Canada Championship (PGA Tour golf tournament), 2000-2002
- Director, Physical Medical Research Foundation, 2000-2003
- Director, Tantalus Management Inc., 2000-2005
- Member, Advisory Board, Willis Canada Inc., 2002-2006
- Member, Arbutus Club, Vancouver, B.C.
- Member, Pt. Grey Golf Club, Vancouver, B.C.
LL.L., Laval University, 1967
B.A., McGill University, 1964