Mr. John R. Singleton, Q.C., C.Arb
Law office of Singleton Urquhart LLP, Vancouver, BC, CA (Canada)
ADR Certified Designation : C. Arb and C. Med
VanIAC Panel(s) : Domestic Arbitration, International Arbitration, Mediation
Practice Areas : Construction, Corporate Commercial, Entertainment, Insurance and Reinsurance
Mr. Singleton has practiced law since 1969. He has concentrated on the areas of insurance, construction, professional liability and environmental matters, on behalf of property owners, architects, engineers, contractors, regulatory agencies and insurers. He has acted as counsel in several precedent-setting cases involving insurers, architects, engineers and other participants in the construction industry and has been counsel on a wide variety of problems related to environmental issues.
Mr. Singleton is also a chartered arbitrator and mediator of complex commercial disputes, and is actively involved in both mediation and arbitration on behalf of his own clients and as a mediator/arbitrator retained by others. He also acts as a fairness advisor/monitor of procurement activities in a variety of settings.
Mr. Singleton is an Adjunct Professor at Stanford University Law School and the University of British Columbia Law School.Dispute Resolution Experience and Training
- Forty-two years of practice in dispute resolution.
- Counsel at all levels of courts and before Administrative Tribunals.
- Fairness Advisor on multiple construction and infrastructure projects.
- Arbitrator/Mediator multiple disputes.
- Professor of Law, including ADR, at UMB and Stanford.
- Fellow, Canadian College of Construction Lawyers
- Member, Federation of Defence and Corporate Counsel
- Member, Defence Research Institute
- Member, Arbitrators Institute of Canada
- Arbitrator, American Dispute Resolution Center
- General Counsel, Municipal Insurance Association of British Columbia
- Member, Association of Defense Trial Attorneys
- Member, Panel of Arbitrators of China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC) and Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre, Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration
- Adjunct Professor, UBC and Stanford
B. A., University of Alberta, 1966
LL.L., University of Alberta, 1969
University of London, London School of Economics and Political Science, England, Master of Laws, 1970