Mr. Peter R. Day, JD, DESS, FCIArb
Law office of Mercer Island Arbitration Chambers Int’l, LLC, Mercer Island, WA (Washington), US (United States)
ADR Certified Designation : FCIArb
Additional Language(s) : French, German
VanIAC Panel(s) : International Arbitration
Practice Areas : Corporate Commercial, Intellectual Property and Licensing, Real Estate, Securities
Peter R. Day’s wide-ranging experience as a business lawyer, trial lawyer, corporate executive and university educator make him well-suited to serve as a neutral in nearly any alternative dispute resolution setting. He has a broad background as a lawyer with over 35 years of practice, ranging from trial practice and litigation management to a wide-ranging corporate practice, with significant experience in intellectual property, international business, construction, aircraft finance, real estate, and asset sales.
After graduate studies in law in Germany and in business administration as a Fulbright scholar in France, he joined the legal department of The Boeing Company, where he enjoyed a 25-year career which included assignments as Chief Counsel for two division legal departments. In his role as Chief Counsel for two divisions of The Boeing Company, a substantial part of his responsibility was cost-effective and prompt dispute resolution, using negotiation, informal means of alternative dispute resolution, and formal mediation, arbitration or litigation when necessary. Concurrently, he set up and managed fully integrated in-house and outside counsel claims teams in the successful defense of over $100 million in construction claims at minimum cost, many of which were resolved through arbitration.
Peter Day is reasonably fluent in both German and French and has negotiated business transactions in both languages.
After living and doing business on three continents, he has an understanding of the interplay of different legal systems and cultures in international business, a management perspective of business disputes and a very pragmatic approach to dispute resolution.
Upon graduation from law school, Peter R. Day served as a Marine Corps trial lawyer in Vietnam and Japan, then as Chief Prosecutor and Court-martial judge at Camp Pendleton, California. Following release from active duty, he joined the Office of the District Attorney of San Mateo County, California, where he tried 22 jury trials.Dispute Resolution Experience and Training
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Diploma Course in International Commercial Arbitration, Oxford, England, 2005.
- International Chamber of Commerce, Master Class for Arbitrators, Paris 2010.
- PIDA Mock Arbitration under ICC Rules (French language), Paris, 2006.
- World Intellectual Property Organization, Arbitration Workshop, Geneva, 2006.
- American Arbitration Association/ICDR Symposium in Advanced Case Management Issues, New York, 2010.
- Chairing an Arbitral Panel, Seattle, 2010.
- Arbitrator II: Advanced Case Management Issues, Miami, 2006.
- Arbitrator I: Fundamentals of the Arbitration Process, San Francisco, 2005.
- Using ADR to Resolve Intellectual Property Disputes, Seattle, 2005 – 2006.
- 40-Hour Mediator Skills Training for Court-Based Settlement Programs, Seattle, 2005.
- Washington College of Law, American University, How to Handle a Bilateral Investment Treaty Arbitration, Washington, D.C., 2009.
- FINRA/New York Stock Exchange, Dispute Resolution Chairperson Training, 2008.
- Arbitrator Training, San Francisco, 2006.
- Construction Disputes Resolution Services, Construction Arbitration and Dispute Resolution Board Training, Albuquerque, 2007.
Peter Day has taught trial practice to lawyers for 10 years with the National Institute for Trial Advocacy at the San Diego and Seattle programs, and has also taught both MBA and undergraduate courses in business law and international law at the Seattle University Albers School of Business and Economics.
- International Chamber of Commerce
- World Intellectual Property Organization
- International Centre for Dispute Resolution
- London Court of International Arbitration
- Chinese European Arbitration Centre
- American Arbitration Association National Roster of Neutrals
- FINRA (formerly NYSE & NASD)
- Institute for Conflict Management
- Construction Dispute Resolution Services, LLC
- National Arbitration Forum
- INSEAD, Fontainebleau, France, Four-week executive program (Programme Supérieur pour Dirigeants), 2005
- B.A., University of Grenoble, France (Fulbright scholar) Graduate degree (Diplôme d’études supérieures spécialisées), 1976
- University of the Saar, Germany Graduate studies at the Europa-Institut in European Union law, 1974-1975
- J.D., University of San Francisco, 1969
- B.A., Economics, Yale University, 1966