Mr. Robert M. Smith, Esq.
Law office of Robert M. Smith, Esq., San Francisco, CAL (California), US (United States)
ADR Certified Designation : C. Arb and C. Med
VanIAC Panel(s) : International Arbitration
Practice Areas : Accounting, Construction, Consumer, Corporate Commercial, Defamation, Employment, Entertainment, Government, Healthcare, Hospitality, Insurance and Reinsurance, Intellectual Property and Licensing, Life Sciences (Biotech, Pharma & Medical Devices), Pension, Personal Injury, Real Estate, Technology, Transportation, Wills and Estates
Robert M. Smith, Esq., has more than 20 years of commercial litigation and trial experience. He was responsible for overseas litigation worldwide at Bank of America. Subsequently, he had his own commercial litigation firm representing three dozen financial institutions. Prior to law school, Mr. Smith was a correspondent in the Washington Bureau of the New York Times.
Mr. Smith is a Barrister (Inner Temple, Lincoln’s Inn) in the UK. He is admitted to the Bars of California, New York, and the District of Columbia. He is fluent in French and German, and speaks intermediate Spanish.
Mr. Smith has commercial law experience that includes such matters as: high-tech lending, sexual harassment, computer license disputes, project finance, international letters of credit, construction disputes, insurance coverage, and personal injury.Dispute Resolution Experience and Training
Robert M. Smith has been an arbitrator and mediator for more than 20 years. He has mediated hundreds of complex matters in a wide range of subject areas and in many jurisdictions. He was Director of Mediation at CEDR (Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution) in London, as well as a Registered Mediator and Chartered Arbitrator in the UK. He has lectured on ADR widely—at the Law Faculty of Oxford University, the United Nations in Turin, Nairobi, Warsaw, Dublin, Singapore, and Amsterdam. He is the author of ADR for Financial Institutions (West Group, 2d ed. 1998, 1200 pp.).
Mr. Smith has completed more than 400 hours of mediation/arbitration training and teaching, including:
- Practicum for Experienced Mediators, CDR Associates, Boulder, Colorado, 09/1994, 32 hours
- Mediation Seminar, Stanford Law School, Palo Alto, California, 06/1994, 20 hours
- Mediation Training, American Academy of Attorney-Mediators, Oakland, California, 01/1993, 15 hours
- Mediation Training, American Arbitration Association, San Francisco, California, 01/1993, 15 hours
- Mediation & ADR Training, National Institute for Trial Advocacy, Denver, Colorado, 09/1992, 24 hours
Mr. Smith’s mediation style depends on the wishes of the parties and counsel, and his sense of what is appropriate and likely to be effective.
Mr. Smith has more than 250 references from law firms and corporate and government law departments on five continents. For more representative matters, expanded biography, references and testimonials, please see www.robertmsmith.comProfessional and Other Activities
Mr. Smith serves, or has served, as a mediator or arbitrator on the following panels:
- UN’s World Intellectual Property Organization in Geneva, Switzerland
- the World Bank
- London Court of International Arbitration
- Arbitration Subcommittee to the U.S. Council for International Business
- Centre de Médiation et d’Arbitrage de Paris (CMAP) – Médiateur Agréé
- Center for Public Resources, Panel of Distinguished Neutrals
Mr. Smith has been elected a Fellow of:
- the American College of Civil Trial Mediators
- the Hong Kong Institute of Arbitrators
- the International Academy of Mediators
JD, Yale Law School (Board of Editors, Yale Law Journal)
MS in Journalism with High Honors, Columbia University
MA in International Affairs, Columbia University
Diploma Sobresaliente, Centro de Estudios de Español (Barcelona)
Fulbright Scholar, University of Tübingen (Germany)
AB with Honors, Harvard College