Law office of Robinson Sheppard Shapiro, LLP, Montreal, QC (Quebec), CA (Canada)
Additional Language(s) : French
VanIAC Panel(s) : Domestic Arbitration, Mediation
Practice Areas : Accounting, Construction, Corporate Commercial, Government, Insurance and Reinsurance, Personal Injury, Sports
With over 30 years’ experience, Pierre Brossoit is frequently involved in complex, high-stakes cases.
Business clients also appreciate his rich experience and consult him for strategic advice or to review, interpret and negotiate commercial agreements.
Since 2015, Mr. Brossoit is regularly retained by law firms to act as arbitrator in various private litigation matters. He is accredited as an arbitrator by the Institut de médiation et d’arbitrage du Québec (IMAQ).
In January 2019, he was appointed as one of the 13 Experts authorized to rule on contested claims filed by contractors and sub-contractors pending the completion of construction contracts with the Quebec Government.
Although arbitration and mediation are an important part of his practice, Mr. Brossoit also maintains his litigation practice.Dispute Resolution Experience and Training
His diversified experience allows Mr. Brossoit to respond assuredly and rapidly to a variety of situations:
- acting, for plaintiff or defendant, in emergency proceedings such as injunctions, applications for safeguard orders and seizures before judgment;
- filing complex claims in areas such as construction and real estate;
- representing businesses and institutions in their defence against class actions;
- preparing and pleading lengthy cases;
- setting the stage for the negotiation of amicable settlements.
For instance, Mr. Brossoit:
- provides counsel and judicial representation to passenger transportation companies;
- assists a major Quebec real estate financing player in setting up and implementing real estate projects;
- represents plaintiffs and defendants alike, in major and complex claims related to construction;
- advises contractors and cities on all aspects related to call for tenders;
- appears on behalf of education institutions in injunctions or claims arising from allegations of discrimination and responsibility towards students.
As an accredited arbitrator, Mr. Brossoit is a member of the Groupe d’arbitrage — Juste décision (GAJD), specializing in alternative dispute resolution methods such as mediation and arbitration.
He has frequently sat as an arbitrator, especially in cases arising from Quebec’s guarantee plan for new residential buildings. His decisions are available on GAJD’s website, at <www.gajdarbitrage.ca>.Professional and Other Activities
- Bar of Quebec: member of the Arbitration committee on advocates’ fee invoices (2015–)
- Bar of Quebec: member of the Discipline committee (2000–2010)
- Bar of Montréal: chairman for the election of the bâtonnier and council members (2004–2005)
- Institut de médiation et d’arbitrage du Québec (IMAQ)
- Accredited mediator and arbitrator, British Columbia Commercial Arbitration Centre
Licentiate of Laws (LL.L.), University of Ottawa, 1986