Robert J. C. Deane
Robert J. C. Deane
Law office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP, Vancouver, BC, CA (Canada)
VanIAC Panel(s) : Domain Name Disputes, Domestic Arbitration, International Arbitration
Practice Areas : Corporate Commercial, Intellectual Property and Licensing
Mr. Deane is a partner with Borden Ladner Gervais LLP, based in Vancouver, Canada. He is the National Leader of the Firm’s International Trade and Arbitration Group, and an elected member of the Partnership Board, the Firm’s governing body. He also serves as the Co-National Leader of the Privacy and Data Security Group and as the Vancouver Regional Leader of the Advertising, Marketing and Sponsorship Law Group. Robert practises international and domestic commercial arbitration, commercial litigation, privacy law, intellectual property litigation and advertising/competition law. He is ranked nationally and internationally as a leading lawyer in these areas.
Mr. Deane has experience in all levels of court, including the Supreme Court of Canada, and in numerous significant international commercial arbitration proceedings in North America, Asia and Europe under the LCIA Rules, the ICC Rules, the ICSID (Additional Facility) Rules, the American Arbitration Association’s International Arbitration Rules, the Arbitration Rules of the Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce, the Domestic and International Arbitration Rules of the Vancouver International Arbitration Centre, and the National Arbitration Rules of the ADR Institute of Canada, among others.
Prior to joining BLG, Robert was a law clerk to the Honourable Madam Justice Beverley McLachlin, Supreme Court of Canada (now the Rt. Honourable Beverley McLachlin, PC, Chief Justice of Canada).Dispute Resolution Experience and Training
Mr. Deane has been involved in numerous significant arbitration proceedings throughout North America, Asia and Europe.
Mr. Deane represented the United Mexican States in NAFTA Chapter Eleven arbitral proceedings and related court proceedings before the Supreme Court of British Columbia, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the Court of Appeal for Ontario and the Supreme Court of Canada (Metalclad Corp. v. United Mexican States; Feldman v. United Mexican States; Bayview Irrigation District v. United Mexican States; Corn Products International Inc. v. United Mexican States; Cargill Inc. v. United Mexican States). Mr. Deane also appeared for the United Mexican States in Waste Management Inc. v. United Mexican States, and has provided advice on numerous other NAFTA Chapter Eleven and other investment treaty arbitral proceedings.
Mr. Deane’s arbitration practice has also provided him with opportunities to work with the LCIA Rules, the ICSID (Additional Facility) Rules, the ICC Arbitration Rules, the American Arbitration Association’s International Arbitration Rules (ICDR), the Arbitration Rules of the Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce, the Domestic and International Arbitration Rules of the British Columbia International Commercial Arbitration Centre, and the National Arbitration Rules of the ADR Institute of Canada, among others.Professional and Other Activities
- Recognized as the 2017 “Vancouver International Arbitration Lawyer of the Year” by The Best Lawyers in Canada®.
- Recognized in the 2016 edition (and since 2011) of Chambers Global — The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business (Dispute Resolution — British Columbia, Dispute Resolution — Arbitration).
- Recognized in the 2016 edition of Who’s Who Legal: Arbitration 2016.
- Recognized in the 2017 and 2016 editions of Chambers Canada — Canada’s Leading Lawyers for Business (Dispute Resolution: British Columbia, Dispute Resolution: Arbitration).
- Selected by peers for inclusion in the 2017 edition (and since 2012) of The Best Lawyers in Canada® (Advertising and Marketing Law, Class Action Litigation, Corporate and Commercial Litigation, International Arbitration, and Privacy & Data Security Law).
- Recognized in the 2016 and 2015 editions of the Legal 500 Canada (International Trade).
- Recognized in the 2016 and 2015 editions of Benchmark Canada — The Definitive Guide to Canada’s Leading Litigation Firms & Attorneys as a “Local Litigation Star: British Columbia” and a “Litigation Star: Arbitration, Commercial, Competition, Intellectual Property”.
- Member, Executive Committee, ICC Canada, 2011-present
- Past Regional Representative for North America (Canada), Young International Arbitration Group — London Court of International Arbitration
- Member: Young Canadian Arbitration Practitioners, 2010-present; Toronto Commercial Arbitration Society, 2010-present; Western Canada Commercial Arbitration Society, 2010-present
- Former Chair, Editorial Board, Working Group on Best Practices for Electronic Document Discovery and Production in Canada (Sedona Canada)
- Member, Advisory Board, The Institute for Transnational Arbitration, 2009-present
LLB, University of Victoria, 1998 (Law Society of BC Gold Medallist)
BA, Simon Fraser University, 1995
British Columbia, 2000