Romeo Andres Rojas, FCIArb.
Law office of Romeo A. Rojas Professional Corporation, Calgary, AB (Alberta), CA (Canada)
ADR Certified Designation : FCIArb
VanIAC Panel(s) : Expedited Procedures Arbitrator
Practice Areas : Construction, Corporate Commercial, Energy, Mergers, Acquisitions, and Joint Ventures, Partnership and Shareholder
After graduating from the University of British Columbia Faculty of Law in 2000, Romeo served as a Trade Commissioner in the Canadian Foreign Service, where his postings included the Consulate of Canada in Dubai and the Embassy of Canada in Abu Dhabi. Romeo completed his articles with the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade’s Trade Law Bureau in Ottawa, with a focus on international investment law.
Romeo subsequently moved to Calgary to join Burnet, Duckworth & Palmer LLP (BDP) as an associate in 2007. While at BDP, Romeo completed a LLM at the University of Calgary. He subsequently joined Bennett Jones LLP’s international arbitration group as an associate in 2016 and was elevated to partner in 2019. As counsel, Romeo’s practice was focused on arbitration in the energy and construction sectors. He has represented companies and states in domestic, international, and investor-state arbitrations under the world’s leading international rule systems, including ICC, LCIA, UNCITRAL, and ICSID.
Romeo is an adjunct professor at the University of Calgary, where he teaches arbitration law. He also publishes and speaks regularly on arbitration-related matters.Dispute Resolution Experience and Training
- Accelerated Route to Fellowship Course, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- International Center for Dispute Resolution Panel Training
- University of Ottawa, Executive Short Program of the Certificate in Arbitration and International Arbitration (2012)
- Law Society of Alberta (2008-present); Law Society of British Columbia (2010-2021); Law Society of Upper Canada (2007-2016)
- Who’s Who Legal – Future Leader, Arbitration (2021)
- Chambers and Partners – Canada – Arbitration, Up and Coming (2021)
- ICC Canada Arbitration Committee
- Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Co-author, “When Consolidation Fails: Challenges of Parallel Arbitral Proceedings” in Energy Arbitration, 4th Ed. (Global Arbitration Review, 2020)
- Co-author, “Canada” in International Comparative Legal Guide on International Arbitration (London: Global Legal Group, 2016)
- Co-author, “Canada” in Arbitration World, 5th ed., (London: Sweet & Maxwell, 2015)
- Master of Laws (LLM), University of Calgary (2015)
- Juris Doctor (JD), University of British Columbia (2000)
- Bachelor of Arts (BA (Hons.)), University of Alberta (1996)