Simon B. Margolis, Q.C.
Law office of Cornish Margolis Boyd LLP, Vancouver, BC, CA (Canada)
ADR Certified Designation : Chartered Mediator (C. Med)
VanIAC Panel(s) : Domestic Arbitration, Mediation, Underinsured Motorist Protection (UMP)
Practice Areas : Construction, Corporate Commercial, Employment, Indigenous, Insurance and Reinsurance, Personal Injury, Sports
Simon has returned to full time practice as a litigator, mediator and arbitrator after having served the firm as Managing Partner from February 2011 to February 2016.
Simon is a senior litigator who continues to provide practical and effective advice to clients in a variety of commercial and insurance related matters. He counsels clients on alternate dispute resolution methods and represents them before all levels of court. Simon is regularly retained as mediator in a wide variety of commercial disputes, many of them involving multiple parties, and is also frequently retained as an arbitrator.
Simon obtained his undergraduate degree at Dartmouth College in 1979 before attending and graduating from law school at the University of British Columbia in 1982. He articled at Bull Housser and has continued to practice at the firm his entire career. Simon was appointed Queen’s Counsel in 2012.Dispute Resolution Experience and Training
- Recently acted as mediator in a wide variety of disputes involving property damage, professional liability, construction, environmental contamination, real estate, bodily injury and employment.
- Recently acted as arbitrator in several cases including a commercial dispute following the sale of a business and a series of fee disputes following the departure of a lawyer from a firm.
- Tzeachten First Nation v. Canada (Attorney General), (2008) 297 D.L.R. (4th) 300 (Federal Court), counsel for Canada Lands companies in proceedings regarding the Crown’s duty to consult prior to transfer of the CFB Chilliwack lands to Canada Lands.
- International Hi-Tech Industries Inc. v. FANUC Robotics and General Electric Capital Canada Inc. (GECC) 2006 BCSC 1934, counsel for GECC in defence of products liability, fraud and conspiracy claim resulting in special costs award against Plaintiff and individual director.
- Powerex Corp. v. Alcan Inc. 2004 BCSC 876, counsel for Alcan Inc. in proceedings against it to enforce a foreign arbitral award.
- 2017 Best Lawyers in Canada: Recognized leading lawyer in the areas of Aboriginal Law, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Corporate + Commercial Litigation and Insurance Law.
- 2016 Best Lawyers in Canada: Recognized leading lawyer in the areas of Aboriginal Law, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Corporate + Commercial Litigation and Insurance Law.
- 2015 Legal 500 Canada: Recommended lawyer in the area of Dispute Resolution.
- LexisNexis – Martindale-Hubbell: BV Peer Review Rated.
LLB, University of British Columbia, 1982
A.B. degree Dartmouth College, 1979
Called to the B.C. bar, 1983