W. A. Derry Millar, LL.B, FCIArb
Law office of WeirFoulds LLP, Toronto, ON (Ontario), CA (Canada)
ADR Certified Designation : C. Arb and C. Med
VanIAC Panel(s) : Domain Name Disputes, Domestic Arbitration
Practice Areas : Corporate Commercial, Insurance and Reinsurance, Intellectual Property and Licensing, Real Estate, Wills and Estates
Derry served as Treasurer (President) of the Law Society of Upper Canada from 2008 to 2010. He also served as a Bencher for 16 consecutive years from 1995 to 2011. Derry has been a chair and member of hearing and appeal panels on many cases involving complaints against lawyers.
Derry’s well-earned reputation comes with more than 34 years of practice. His experience in dispute resolution and as an advocate contributes significantly to his skill as an arbitrator and mediator. Those skills were recognized in 2001 when he was elected a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers.
Derry’s wide-ranging practice includes the areas of Aviation, Commercial, Estates, Environmental, Insurance, Products Liability, Intellectual Property and Real Estate law. He has dealt with complex commercial, environmental, aviation, products liability and estate cases. Derry has acted for plaintiffs and defendants in various class actions, as well as counsel to class counsel on issues arising during proceedings.
Derry has appeared before all levels of courts in Ontario, the Supreme Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Canada and the Supreme Court of British Columbia. He has also appeared before various administrative tribunals and municipal boards and councils.Dispute Resolution Experience and Training
- Appearances on mediations and arbitrations as counsel.
- Acting as arbitrator on commercial and real estate cases.
- Acted as an arbitrator for domain name disputes under the Canadian Internet Registration Authority domain name disputes.
- Acting as hearing member and chair on police discipline cases and professional discipline cases.
- Acting as mediator on commercial and insurance cases.
- Arbitration & Mediation Institute of Ontario – Arbitration II Course.
- Conducting Hearings Training programs at Boards of Inquiry and Law Society of Upper Canada.
- In-house Mediation Program.
- Teacher, Colegio San Carlos, Bogota, Colombia, as a volunteer under the auspices of The Canadian University Service Overseas (CUSO), August 1966–July 1968
- Past President and Director of The Ontario Cystic Fibrosis Camp, 1976–1994
- Director of The Low Vision Association of Ontario, 1982–1993
Dalhousie University, LL.B., 1971
University of Saskatchewan, B.A., 1966