William C. Kaplan, KC, FCIArb.
Law office of WCK Law Corporation, Vancouver, BC, CA (Canada)
VanIAC Panel(s) : Domestic Arbitration, International Arbitration, Mediation
Practice Areas : Construction, Corporate Commercial, Employment, Intellectual Property and Licensing, Real Estate, Sports
Bill now focuses his practice on arbitration and mediation work as a neutral. He has been engaged on a variety of matters reflecting his experience in corporate/commercial matters, restructuring, securities legislation, real estate and development, and a broad range of business-related issues. Bill has appeared before all levels of the Court system in British Columbia, including the Supreme Court of Canada, as well as appearing before numerous administrative tribunals, private arbitration panels, and mediations. He is experienced in alternative dispute resolution and is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
Bill provides legal services through WCK Law Corporation.Dispute Resolution Experience and Training
- Appeared before all levels of court in British Columbia, and the Supreme Court of Canada, on a wide range of corporate and commercial matters.
- Acted as counsel for many arbitration hearings over the last 30+ years and engaged as counsel for labour relations arbitration hearings earlier in career.
- Attained FCIArb in 2016 and continue to hold FCIArb designation.
- Counsel for many mediations and have acted as mediator on 7 matters in the last 6 months.
- Bill is a member of Insolvency Institute of Canada, and a past chairman and a member of the board of directors of the Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia. He was a founding member of the Dean’s Advisory Committee to the National Centre for Business Law at the University of British Columbia.
- Bill was an adjunct professor of law at the University of British Columbia for over 25 years, where he instructed a negotiations course.
- Bill was appointed Queen’s Counsel (British Columbia) in 2001. Admitted to FCIArb: 2016
- Best Lawyers in Canada: 2008, 2010 – 2019 (Appellant Practice, Construction Law and Insolvency)
- Legal 500 Canada: 2014 – 2019
- Chambers Global: 2009 – 2018
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory: 2008 – 2018
- I FLR1000: 2014 – 2018 (Leading Lawyer)
- The Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Litigation Lawyers in Canada: 2013 – 2015, 2017
- Benchmark Canada: 2013 – 2018
Admitted as a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators – 2016
LL.M., Harvard University – 1981
Admitted to the British Columbia Bar – 1980
LL.B., University of British Columbia – 1979
B.A., University of British Columbia – 1975