William J. McFetridge, LL.B, C.A.
Law office of Norton Rose Fulbright, Vancouver, BC (British Columbia), CA (Canada)
ADR Certified Designation : C. Arb and C. Med
VanIAC Panel(s) : Domestic Arbitration, Mediation
Practice Areas : Accounting, Corporate Commercial, Maritime, Partnership and Shareholder, Tax, Transportation
Bill McFetridge has over 40 years of experience as a professional providing advice to clients in a range of industries. Bills practice is focused on acquisitions and divestitures of large and small businesses, shareholder agreements and disputes, joint ventures and limited partnerships.
Prior to entering the field of law, Bill trained and practiced as a Chartered Professional Accountant (FCPA, FCA), a background that he draws on to deal with a variety of corporate and commercial matters.
He has considerable experience structuring and negotiating joint venture agreements and long term supply agreements. Bill has developed special knowledge and expertise in advising clients on the process of buying and selling businesses.
He works with clients in a wide range of industries such as transportation, marine, real estate, construction, maritime, wholesale distribution and forestry.Dispute Resolution Experience and Training
- Bill is a Chartered Arbitrator (C.Arb.) and is recognized as a domestic arbitrator by the Vancouver International Arbitration Centre and has been involved with numerous large and small arbitrations, including acting as the court-appointed arbitrator to resolve a dispute in respect of the sale of a business.
- Acted as an arbitrator and mediator in numerous disputes:
- Partnership disputes
- Business acquisition disputes
- Working capital adjustment disputes
- Accounting principles disputes
- Fee disputes
- Immediate Past Chair – Auditing and Assurance Standards Oversight Council (Canada)
- Former Member – Accounting Standards Oversight Council (Canada)
- Chair Legal Strategies for Business Acquisitions Continuing Legal Ed
- Contributor Buying and Selling Business Continuing Legal Ed
- Editorial Board Advising B.C. Business
- Chambers Canada, British Columbia: Corporate/Commercial, Chambers and Partners, 2018
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, (2016-2017): recommended in Corporate Commercial Law and Corporate Mid-Market
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Recognized as a leading lawyer in the areas of Corporate Law, Transportation Law, Mergers + Acquisitions Law and Natural Resources Law (2017, 2016)
- CLEBCs Most Prolific Volunteers (1996 to 2016): Recognized as prolific contributor
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business: Recognized as a leading lawyer in the area of Transportation: Shipping (2015)
- LexisNexis – Martindale-Hubbell: AV Peer Review Rated
LL.B, University of British Columbia, 1977
B.Comm., University of British Columbia, 1972
Chartered Accountant, Manitoba and British Columbia, 1974
Chartered Arbitrator, ADR Institute of Canada, 2005