Panelists are expected to carry the appropriate professional liability insurance and their conduct is governed by their profession.
Management of Panels
The following is a statement of the Board of Directors Policy regarding the management of the Panels of Arbitrators and Mediators maintained by the Centre.
- The Directors shall be responsible for the management of all Panels, both as to admissions and removals.
- Directors may delegate management of the Panel to a Committee of Directors.
- In applying this Policy it is recognized that the success and credibility of the Centre is directly dependent on the competence of Panelists.
- The size of any Panel will be determined from time to time, giving consideration to the number of arbitrations administered by the Centre, the opportunities for the Centre to make appointments and the importance of maintaining a diversity of specialization and geographic distribution of Panelists.
- A Director may sponsor an applicant for membership on a Panel but such will not ensure appointment.
- It is recognized that the power to admit a person to a Panel is distinct from the appointment of an arbitrator under the Rules pursuant to a request from parties.
- The following general criteria shall be considered by the Directors in approving admissions to a Panel:
- Panelists will have demonstrated experience, skill and competence in dispute resolution;
- Panelists will have shown a commitment to the advancement and promotion of ADR and VanIAC.