Anton M.S. Melnyk, Q.C., LL.B., LL.M., C.Arb
Law office of Melnyk Law
Edmonton AB (Alberta) CA
ADR Certified Designation :
Chartered Arbitrator (C. Arb)
VanIAC Panel(s) :
Domain Name Disputes (CIRA), Domestic Arbitration, International Arbitration
Practice Areas :
Aboriginal Law, Accounting Law, Aviation Law, Banking Law, Commercial Law, Commercial Law - Development, Contract Law, Corporate Law, Employment Law, Estate Law, Estate Law - Trusts, Estate Law - Wills, Financial Services, General Civil Law, Human Rights Law, Intellectual Property Law, Online Dispute Resolution Law, Partnership Disputes, Real Estate Law, Shareholder Disputes, Shareholder Rights, Small Business Law, Sports Law, Strata Law, Tax Law, Transportation Law
Principal of Melnyk Law, Barristers and Solicitors.
- Over 40 years practice in a wide range of law, including commercial, corporate, tax, labour, and administrative law.
- Appeared before the Alberta Trial and Appeal Courts, Tax Court and Federal Court of Canada Acted as Counsel to the Classification Appeal Board, Public Service Appeal Board, Occupational Health & Safety Council, the Alberta Labour Relations Board and Environmental Council of Alberta.
- Acted as Vice-Chairperson of the Alberta Board of Industrial Relations.
- Acted as Chairperson in numerous labour, commercial, landlord-tenant, automobile and electrical industry arbitrations.
- Taught labour law, arbitration law, and tax law in the Law and Business Administration Faculties of the University of Alberta.
|Dispute Resolution Experience and Training
Appointed Queen’s Counsel 1981 and Awarded the Chartered Arbitrator designation 1990. Arbitral and ADR appointments include:
- Grievance Arbitration Roster under the Labour Relations Code of Alberta (1994 – )
- Arbitrator under the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (1994 – 2008)
- Sahtu Arbitration Panel (1995 – )
- Arbitrator under the Western Grain Transition Payments Program (1995)
- Part IV of the Canada Transportation Act Arbitrations (1998 – )
- Domestic Canada Panel of the BCICAC (1998 – )
- IDA – Alberta Securities Dispute Resolution Panel (2000 – 2009)
- Province of Alberta Bid Protest Roster (2001 – 2009 )
- Referee and Adjudicator under the Canada Labour Code (2002 – )
- Gwich’in Arbitration Panel (2005 – )
- Automobile Insurance Arbitrators Roster – Alberta (2005 – )
- CIRA Domain Name Resolution Panel of the BCICAC (2006 – )
- Arbitration Panel of the Sport Dispute Resolution Centre of Canada (2007 – 2010 )
|Professional and Other Activities
- Alberta Arbitration & Mediation Society
- ADR Institute of Canada
- Canadian Bar Association – Member of National and Provincial Councils (2000 – 2010)
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- Selected Publications (for full list, please contact Melnyk Law):
- Ch. 3 Tax Law – Principles of Farm Law for Alberta Farmers, University of Alberta (1974)
- Taxation of a Shareholder – TAX 2 – Canadian Bar Association, Intermediate Course on The Income Tax Act (1975)
Harvard Law School, LL.M.,1963
University of Alberta – LL.B., Silver Medalist, 1962
University of Alberta, B.A., 1961