Law office of Urbas Arbitral,
Montreal QC (Quebec) CA
ADR Certified Designation :
Chartered Arbitrator (C. Arb)
Additional Language(s) :
VanIAC Panel(s) :
Domestic Arbitration, International Arbitration
Practice Areas :
Aboriginal Law, Accounting Law, Aviation Law, Bio-Tech Industry, Commercial Law, Company Law, Contract Law, Corporate Law, Entertainment Law, General Civil Law, Information Technology Law, Intellectual Property Law, International Law, Mining Industry, Partnership Disputes, Products Liability Law, Public Utilities Industry, Publishing Industry, Resource Industry - Energy, Resource Industry - Fisheries, Resource Industry - Forestry, Resource Industry - Gas, Resource Industry - Oil, Royalties Law, Sale of Goods Law, Technology Law, Trade Law, Trademark Law, Transportation Law
|Professional ExperienceMr. Urbas has advised and represented clients in commercial arbitration and litigation across a variety of industries and disputes involving intellectual property (patent, trade-mark, copyright), information technologies (ownership, license, service contracts), energy (wind, bio), natural resources (mining, forestry, fishing), aboriginal law (land claim, treaty disputes), telecommunication, broadcasting, product liability and complex contractual disputes.
He has handled trial and appellate advocacy, urgent and extraordinary applications, appearing in the Provincial and Federal courts and the Supreme Court of Canada, as well as before arbitration tribunals and various administrative tribunals.
|Dispute Resolution Experience and TrainingMr. Urbas sits as an arbitrator, both as a sole arbitrator and as a member of a three-member arbitration tribunal. He is fluently bilingual in English and French.
Up until June 2017, Daniel Urbas served as Regional Leader of the International Trade Litigation and Arbitration group and Regional Leader of the Intellectual Property Litigation group of a national law firm. Formerly, until 2013, Daniel was also that firm’s Regional Leader of the Commercial Litigation group and National Leader of the Intellectual Property Litigation group.
|Professional and Other Activities
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) based in London, U.K. and formerly elected to the Executive of the CIArb’s North American branch, founding member of Canadian Branch, director and treasurer
- Recognized as “Local Litigation Star- Quebec” in the 2013-2017 editions of Benchmark Litigation Canada
- Recognized in the 2014-2017 editions of The Best Lawyers in Canada® (Corporate and Commercial Litigation)
- Recognized in the 2013-2017 editions of The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Computers IT Law)
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Preeminent™.
- Recognized in the business section of La Presse, North America’s largest circulation French-language daily, for being “at the top of his game”
- BCL/LLB, McGill University. 1991
- BA, University of Western Ontario, 1984
- Barreau du Quebec, 1992
- LSUC Ontario, 1998
- LSBC British Columbia, 2004
- LSNL Newfoundland & Labrador, 2016