Leslie E. Maerov, FCIArb.
Law office of Leslie E. Maerov Arbitrations Inc.
Vancouver BC CA
VanIAC Panel(s) :
Domain Name Disputes (CIRA), Domestic Arbitration
Practice Areas :
Banking Law, Civil Law, Commercial Law, Commercial Lease, Construction Law, Contract Law, Corporate Law, Franchise Law, Hospitality Law, Intellectual Property Law, International Law, Multi-Party Law, Non-Profit Law, Partnership Law, Professional Negligence Law, Public Utilities Law, Real Estate Law, Residential Law, Resource Industry Law, Royalties Law, Sale of Goods Law, Shareholder Law, Small Business Law, Societies Law, Sport Law, Technology Law, Telecommunications Law, Trade Law, Trademark Law, Wills and Estate Law
Leslie E. Maerov was admitted as a barrister and solicitor in British Columbia in 1975, and as a solicitor of England & Wales in 1991. He is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School at York University in Toronto and also obtained a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Alberta in Edmonton. He was in private practice in Vancouver from 1975 until 1997, initially as a litigator and then as a corporate and commercial lawyer, and became a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators in 2011.
Between 2001 and 2014, Mr. Maerov was Chief Executive Officer and President as well as a founder of a public-listed telecom company. Between 2014-2018 he was Chief Compliance Officer and General Counsel of the company until it was sold. As CEO he leveraged his commercial law expertise and business mindset to develop and implement the company’s strategic growth plans. He was responsible for financing the company’s operations, mergers and acquisitions, all contractual negotiations and regulatory compliance. Since July 2018, he has resumed full time practice as a commercial arbitrator and solicitor.
|Dispute Resolution Experience and Training
Leslie E. Maerov has numerous domestic and international arbitrations as sole arbitrator and as member of three-person panels under ICDR (International Centre for Dispute Resolution) and FINRA (U.S. Financial Industry Regulatory Authority) and ad hoc rules.
Fellowship training by CIArb. (Chartered Institute of Arbitrators).
|Professional and Other Activities
- 2012 to Present – Director, presently Governing Director & Chair, BC International Commercial Arbitration Centre (BCICAC)
- 2004 to Present – Director & Past Chair, Childhood Cancer Family Support Society
- 2004 -2017, Director and presently Treasurer, Pacific Coast Baseball Umpires Association
- 2018 to Present – Director and presently Secretary, British Columbia Baseball Umpires Association
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
- Panelist, International Centre for Dispute Resolution Canada (ICDR Canada)
- Member, International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) Canada Arbitration Committee
- Member, Alternative Dispute Resolution Institute of BC (ADRBC)
- Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of B.C. (1975)
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales (1991)
- 1997 to 1998 – Past Chairman, School Consultative Committee Academic Committee on Curriculum, Kitsilano Secondary School, Vancouver
- 1978 to 1995 – Lecturer, Law Society of British Columbia, Bar Admission Course: Company Law
- 1978 to 1995 – Lecturer, UBC Faculty of Commerce, Certified General Accountants program: Commercial Law
- 1980 to 1985 – Member-at-large, Advertising Standards Council: B.C. Region
- 2011 to present – National-level umpire, Baseball Canada
- 1994 – Author, Bare Bones WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS, Publication by Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia
LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, Toronto, Ontario (1974)
B.A., University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta (1971)